Alternate Gainesville society goes to print in fiction series

Electricity is nonexistent, residents are rebuilding a city they once knew and a dark figure schemes to sabotage progress.

This is an alternate Gainesville portrayed in a series of books titled “Elotchaway, or, How It Will Be.” The works are written by a local writer and sold at businesses within the city.

In the series, set in the near future, society in Gainesville has completely collapsed, said Jim Chapin, editor of the series.

“The idea is that things have gone somewhat wrong,” he said. “Basic infrastructure doesn’t exist, and it’s all about people coping, people finding new forms of living and new ways to be happy.”

The series’ author, Tom Sims, and illustrator, Cincinnati K., use pseudonyms to mask their identities, a decision that will draw readers to the story rather than who created it, Chapin, 25, said.

The author and illustrator were unavailable for comment. Chapin said he won’t be the one to reveal their identities.

Currently, the books are sold at Karma Cream, The Bull and the Midnight because of the lack of local bookstores, he said.

“When you look at Gainesville, we are in kind of a lull of private bookstores,” he said. “There really aren’t any.”

The first book in the series came out in August. Chapin said a fifth book will be released next week.

Chris Kane, a 24-year-old Starbucks employee, handles book distribution with Chapin.

Payal Patel, owner of Karma Cream, said she is satisfied with the book being sold in her store.

“I love that there is cooperation with local artists,” she said.