<p>Screenshot of <span id="docs-internal-guid-bdb18aca-4535-a744-9a3a-2e7fdfb1d0c1"><span>Alachua County Connects</span></span></p>

Screenshot of Alachua County Connects

Alachua County launched a smartphone app that could make communicating with the county easier.

The app, called Alachua County Connects, allows citizens to report community problems like heavy traffic, power outages and road conditions in a convenient way, project leader Joel Laguerre said.

The official launch was Feb. 14, but city officials were able to explore the app before then, he said. Planning for the app took nine months and cost the city about $12,000.

He said the cost may change, possibly increasing, in the future if the city decides to add new features.

Developed by the company SeeClickFix, the city compiles information from city departments nearby and also shows user reports made by others, Laguerre said.

It gives citizens a new way to communicate with the county, Laguerre said.

Nedi Ferekides, 18, said because of construction and bad traffic in Gainesville, she thinks the app could be helpful.

“Traffic gets pretty bad around here,” the UF psychology freshman said. “It would be helpful to know things like that in advance.”

Laguerre said the app is a perfect way to stay connected with the city.

“The actual gem of the service is that the communication is coming from multiple sources, and citizens can choose which way is more convenient for them,” he said.

Screenshot of Alachua County Connects