More than 500 students got their hands dirty Saturday during Gator Plunge, a student-organized community service event that took place all over Gainesville.

Students and members of various student organizations, including Catholic Gators, First-Year Florida and Theta Alpha Christian sorority, worked throughout Gainesville, weeding flower beds, picking up trash and sorting through thrift store inventories at local schools, churches and non-profit businesses.

Volunteers gathered on the Plaza of Americas at 8 a.m. and were put into groups according to where they would be helping out for the day.

Gator Plunge is an event to give UF students the opportunity to volunteer with a community service project, said Lauren Taylor, director of Actions service organization within the Center for Leadership and Service.

“The purpose is to get as many students as possible involved in service projects,” Taylor said.  “Hopefully it serves as a catalyst in getting them involved in service projects on their own.”

For James Occiano, a fourth-year sociology major, service projects are a chance to see Gainesville.   

According to Occiano, he’s done a service project every year since he’s been in Gainesville.

“I like to be aware of what’s available in the area,” Occiano said.  “I don’t get a chance to see volunteer opportunities when I’m stuck on campus.”  

Latrice Bouie, a peer mentor with the Office of Academic Support at UF, volunteered with Habitat for Humanity for the day.

Bouie said that students wishing to volunteer at Gator Plunge should be open to doing whatever is needed at whatever location they are assigned.

“It’s best for the community and it’s a personal benefit,” Bouie said.