A woman crashed into a Campus USA Credit Union on Friday afternoon.

At about 1 p.m., the woman, who is in her mid-60s, crashed her white Chevrolet Tahoe into the east side of the building, located in the 1200 block of Southwest Fifth Avenue, Gainesville Police Department spokesman Officer Ben Tobias wrote in an email.

The woman, whose name was not released, suffered from an undisclosed medical episode in the parking lot, which caused her to accelerate into the building, Tobias said.

Her car was more than halfway into the building’s office section.

Tobias said the woman, who was the only one in the car, was taken to the North Florida Regional Medical Center with minor injuries.

Employees and customers in the building were not injured, he said, and only the driver was taken to the hospital.

“There was no criminal intent,” Tobias said. “It was simply an accident.”

Employees at Campus USA Credit Union declined to comment.

As the vehicle was towed away, Gainesville Regional Utilities personnel checked the building for electrical hazards, Tobias said.

Contact Caitlin Ostroff at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @ceostroff

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.