Fifty protest for Gaza blockade

Amid renewed controversy surrounding Israel’s seizure of an international aid boat headed to Gaza, about 50 people demonstrated at the corner of Southwest 34th Street and Williston Road, calling for the U.S. government to take a stand against Israel’s actions.

Protesters gathered at the northwest corner of the intersection and lined Southwest 34th Street with signs that read, “Building supply ≠ contraband,” “End the blockade now,” and “Free Gaza.”

Organized by the Gainesville chapter of the International Socialist Organization, the demonstrators stood at the intersection from 4 p.m. to about 5 p.m. and then walked down Southwest 34th Street to the Gainesville office of Florida Representative Cliff Stearns, chanting all the way.

Jeremiah Tattersall and Joe Cenker said they organized the protest because they felt the act by Israel could not be ignored.

“We think the occupation and blockade of Gaza is just inhumane, an injustice to human decency,” Cenker said.

Tattersall said the plan was to give Stearns hundreds of hand-signed letters that called for him to make an official announcement against the act.

“They’re trying to starve the people out,” Tattersall said. “We’d like to see him openly denounce the attack.”

The protesters were met outside Stearns’ office by his district aid Jene Plough, who told them Stearns was not available for comment.

Plough promised, however, to take the letters to Stearns, as well as listen to their demands and forward them to the congressman.

Plough said Stearns’ official statement on the subject could be available via his press secretary in Washington, D.C., Paul Flusche.

Flusche was not available for comment by press time.

Muhammad Rushdi, a graduate student in computer science at UF, brought his daughters with him on Monday.

He came to protest because he thinks the situation represents is a double standard in foreign policy.

“Israel has broken international law in what they’ve done,” he said. “We claim to be neutral, but we’re supporting those who support the blockade. This is a big problem.”

Editor's Note: This version corrects the sign “Building supply ≠ contraband.”