Video Rodeo moving to East University Avenue in December

<p class="p1">Ben Knazick, 24-year-old co-owner of Video Rodeo on West University Avenue, works at the store on Monday afternoon. The store will be moving to 10 E. University Ave.</p>

Ben Knazick, 24-year-old co-owner of Video Rodeo on West University Avenue, works at the store on Monday afternoon. The store will be moving to 10 E. University Ave.

Collin Whitlock remembers the night a homeless man wandered into Video Rodeo with his only possession: a guitar.

Whitlock, one of the video rental shop’s co-owners, played music with the man, and together the odd pair watched movies through the night.

The memory is just one among many Whitlock will bring with him to Video Rodeo’s new downtown location come December. 

In order to reel in new customers and save money, the rental shop is relocating to 10 E. University Ave. and leaving behind its old location at 1119 W. University Ave., where it has conducted business for the last 10 years. 

“Downtown is really an evolving neighborhood,” he said. “We want to be a part of the changing and shaping of it.”

Whitlock said the store’s downtown lease will be $200 less per month than its current rent. None of the store’s employees — who are all considered co-owners — earn a steady wage, he said.

“Most of the people who work here have other jobs,” Whitlock said. “It’s something that we’re kind of passionate about.”

The cramped yet quiet store will also have twice the amount of space at its new location, near the Pop-A-Top convenience store. Whitlock said this will enable Video Rodeo to buy and display more films and books. The shop currently stocks almost 8,000 films and almost 700 books.

Video Rodeo will hold onto most of its furniture, including its signature red, metal shelves, he said. 

UF journalism junior Kevin Sathyanath said he stumbled upon the store while walking down West University Avenue a few years ago. He said his favorite genre is Japanese fiction.

“They have a different selection,” the 20-year-old said. “Their books are based much more on movies.”

Sathyanath said he likes supporting the local store and will visit its new downtown location. He also said the prices are cheap — he bought all of the Chronicles of Narnia books there for $3.

“It’s a casual atmosphere that’s much more local and friendly than other stores,” Sathyanath said.