A nonprofit thrift store will host two new events to promote sustainability throughout the weekend.

Repurpose Project Runway starts at 6 p.m. Friday and will feature outfits created from trash, or “trashion,” according to a press release.

The Repurpose Project, located at 1920 NE 23rd Ave., will host the show on its special event space. Visitors who wear recycled materials will have the opportunity to win prizes, according to the release.

Continuing its message of sustainability, the store will reuse its fashion show set up for The Repurpose Project’s Spring Gleaning Festival and Flea Market on Saturday from noon to 4 p.m.

“The idea is to think outside the box and use things that are commonly thrown away,” said Sarah Goff, the project’s co-founder. “If you buy used, then you’re not contributing to the waste.”

She said the festival will include games, music, food and shopping.

“All this leftover stuff that people don’t want, we’re collecting it and making it available to those that need it and want it,” Goff said.

Brian Reed, 23, said he recently helped his nephew use 2-liter bottles to make a water spout.

Events that promote sustainability, he said, will have a lasting effect on the community.

“I am encouraging all my friends to go because it will be a fun time and a unique experience to get to know more about how we can save the planet,” Reed said.