Sitting down linked to diabetes, osteoporosis, study says

At first glance, chairs don’t look like health hazards, but a new study published Wednesday in the Journal of Physical Activity and Health suggests every hour spent sitting doubles the risk of disability later in life.

Sedentary lifestyles increase the risk of degenerative medical problems, such as Type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis and hypertension, said Dr. Guy Nicolette, associate director of clinical services and interim director of the UF Student Health Care Center.

“Exercise can truly be medicine when used properly,” Nicolette wrote in an email. “Ultimately, it is up to the individual to make a choice to exercise or not.”

Kristina Orrego, a 21-year-old UF journalism junior, said it’s different for members of her generation, who grew up watching cartoons, compared to her parents’ generation, who were more active as children.

Orrego said she spends an average of eight and a half hours sitting each weekday and even more on weekends. About half of this time is spent studying, she said.

“I feel more refreshed when I get up and move around,” Orrego said.

[A version of this story ran on page 9 on 2/25/2014 under the headline “Stand up for this: Sitting down linked to diabetes, osteoporosis"]