<p>Bill Nelson</p>

Bill Nelson

U.S. Senator Bill Nelson visited Gainesville on Thursday to meet with the city’s Chamber of Commerce and campaign for a Florida Senate nominee.

Nelson discussed the Affordable Care Act and taxes on local medical-device manufacturers and complimented Gainesville’s public transportation system. Nelson later joined local politicians at an event for Rod Smith, who is running for the Florida Senate District 8 seat against Rep. Keith Perry.

“I think he’s one of the finest public servants that I’ve ran into,” Nelson said.

During the meeting, John Pastore, a chamber member and the president of Crime Prevention Security Systems, asked Nelson how he would reform the Affordable Care Act. As a small-business owner, Pastore said he pays too much for his employees’ health insurance.

“It’s drowning us,” he said.

Nelson defended the Affordable Care Act, arguing more people have health insurance under the act and are no longer denied insurance for pre-existing health conditions. But he said Congress should work together to reform the act and accommodate businesses that face high fees.

“That’s a part that ought to be fixed,” Nelson said. “But there’s a certain element of politics in the country that say we don’t want to fix it, we want to replace it.”

Nelson said he plans to campaign with former President Bill Clinton and presidential candidate Hillary Clinton. On Sunday, he will be in Alachua County campaigning with vice-presidential candidate Tim Kaine, although no official time or location has been announced for Kaine’s visit.

“Florida is such a ripe battleground swing state that you’ll see a lot of these candidates coming in,” Nelson said.

Bill Nelson