GNV-based nonprofit receives $1.1 million grant to mentor teens

With the help of a $1.1 million grant, out-of-school youth across North Central Florida can continue to receive mentorship and occupational training.

The grant, awarded by the U.S. Department of Labor, will go toward Gainesville-based nonprofit Project YouthBuild, which offers training to low-income youth between the ages of 16 and 24.

Jonathan Leslie, the executive director of the Institute of Workforce Innovation, which oversees the nonprofit, said the grant was awarded after the success of the program.

“It’s based on the impact we are having on the community with the young people we serve,” he said. “We have positive results.”

In the last two years, 93 percent of students have received their high school diploma, and about 75 percent of students enter the workforce or postsecondary education after graduation, Leslie said.

Currently located at 408 W. University Ave., Suite 111, Project YouthBuild will relocate to the Banks-Cosby Youth Empowerment Center, located at 635 NW Sixth St., in early 2017, he said.

Project YouthBuild helped recent program graduate Broderick Duffy, 25, find a job at a local AutoZone when no one else would hire him.

“I came in getting turned down for everything because I have tattoos and my background,” the Santa Fe College student said.

While Duffy gave some suggestions as to where the grant money should be spent — like larger classes — he said he was sure the program would spend the funds justly.

“They’re going to do the right thing with the money,” he said.