Wal-Mart to sell less-than-perfect apples in Florida stores

Fruits and vegetables are just as edible whether they are picture perfect or dented and bruised, which is why Wal-Mart recently partnered with “I’m Perfect,” a company that sells slightly damaged produce.

Hot temperatures, high winds and hailstorms sometimes damage produce, but the nutritional value and flavor remain, according to a press release.

Wal-Mart announced its goal to decrease waste and become the first retailer to offer imperfect apples, hoping customers will look past the blemishes.

The apples are available in about 300 Florida stores, according to the release, and will eventually be available in more than 12 varieties.

Employees from the three Wal-Mart locations in Gainesville said their stores do not currently carry the apples.

Jeff Brecht, a professor of postharvest physiology and horticulture at UF, said 30 to 40 percent of all produce in the U.S. is thrown out for imperfections.

On his uncle’s farm in California, Brecht said he saw how a storm damaged the plum crops.

“My uncle was very upset that plums were very good to eat but couldn’t sell because of hail damage,” he said.

Wal-Mart also said in the release it would possibly use the apples to make apple juice or to include in lunch kits.

Brecht said he is interested to see if the partnership is successful.

“The U.S. has an overabundance of food, but they are picky about the appearance of fruits and veggies,” he said.