Keith Richards always wanted to own a bike shop.

He realized his dream three years ago in Gainesville, but that dream will conclude when Swift Cycle closes its doors Dec. 24.

"Closing the shop is bittersweet," Richards said. "It’s been a big part of my life."

Richards said he’s moving to the West Coast with his family to build houses, and co-owner Tim Hayes has already relocated to Orlando.

UF biology senior Nicole Serrano has worked in the store since April. She got the job after shopping at the store and conversing with the owners.

"Before I started working there, it was a very welcoming store," the 21-year-old said. "Keith really helps and breaks things down for you."

The shop was also known for its service toward the community. Richards said Swift Cycle encouraged local government to install bike racks, pumps and repair stations in front of the Hippodrome State Theatre and The Top.

He also said Swift Cycle sponsored the Alachua County Trail Keepers, a group that picks up trash on the various trails and paths in the county.

Serrano said the store’s closing won’t be a major loss for the biking community in Gainesville.

There are still at least nine other bike repair shops in the area including Gator Cycle and Bike Works. In addition, many UF students will rely on the free service the Student Government Bike Repair shop offers in the Reitz Union.

"The Reitz does the exact same thing, but they don’t charge any money. I didn’t even think about going to other stores," said Katrina Mur, a 28-year-old business graduate student. "What’s the point?"

However, Serrano disagrees.

"Working on bicycles is very difficult, no matter what people make you think. I couldn’t take my bike to the Reitz," Serrano said. "It’s a trust thing."

Meanwhile, Richards said he hopes the store’s closing has little impact.

"I hope the bike community in Gainesville continues to get bigger and better," Richards said. "We put on a lot of events, and I hope other people take them on and continue."