ACSO: Shands psychiatric patient causes $14,000 in damages

An agitated patient at UF Health Shands Psychiatric Hospital on Thursday destroyed nearly $14,000 of equipment, deputies said.

At about 11 a.m., Donnie Ray Mogan, 58, of Trenton, Florida, became agitated while being treated at the hospital, located at 4101 NW 89th Blvd., according to a police report.

Administrator Mark Amox told the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office that Mogan slammed an expensive computer system against the wall at the hospital’s day room, causing $10,000 in damages, according to the report.

Mogan then violently shook an entry door to the day room, according to the report. He caused the door to twist at its frame, which caused $4,000 in damages.

Amox told deputies he wanted to press charges for the damages, according to the report.

Police arrested Mogan on a charge of criminal mischief with property damage more than $1,000, according to the report.

Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail where he remains, as of press time, in lieu of a $10,000 bond.

In the past, police have arrested Mogan on a charge of aggravated battery and operating a motor vehicle with an expired license, according to Alachua County court records.