Cancer patients celebrate Thanksgiving a week early

<p>Guests dine at a Thanksgiving-style feast Thursday evening at Gainesville’s American Cancer Society Winn-Dixie Hope Lodge. Winn-Dixie hosted the dinner.</p>

Guests dine at a Thanksgiving-style feast Thursday evening at Gainesville’s American Cancer Society Winn-Dixie Hope Lodge. Winn-Dixie hosted the dinner.

Twenty-seven years ago, a grocery store chain funded the building of Gainesville’s American Cancer Society Winn-Dixie Hope Lodge for cancer patients and their families. On Thursday night, the same chain provided its first Thanksgiving dinner for current residents.

Winn-Dixie Stores partnered with the American Cancer Society to offer a home-cooked Thanksgiving dinner that was donated by local stores and prepared by a Winn-Dixie employee, said Allen Reavis, region vice president of operations for the chain.

About 100 patients and family members lined up for the meal that included stuffing, mashed potatoes, collard greens and plenty of turkey.

Hope Lodge Director Nancy Dohn said Winn-Dixie sponsored the construction of Gainesville’s lodge in 1986.

“It’s not just a free place to stay, but it’s being able to stay someplace with people who are going through exactly what you are going through,” she said. “You can’t put a price on that.”

John Messner, the chef, said everything is worth it once he sees patients smile. He said he likes to help out whenever he can and jumps on opportunities to volunteer.

“It’s instant gratification when you serve people food,” he said.

Beverly Manning has lived at the Lodge for seven months as caretaker for her mother, who has lung cancer. She said events like the dinner make it a home away from home.

“This place is really a blessing,” she said.

A version of this story ran on page 8 on 11/22/2013 under the headline "Cancer patients celebrate Thanksgiving a week early"