Gainesville city commissioners adopted a new ordinance Thursday night that allows cycle pubs to roam the streets.

The ordinance removed a four-passenger limit on non-motorized vehicles, and man-powered “pedibuses” will soon take up to 10 passengers on tours, Mayor pro tempore Craig Carter said.

Currently, alcohol is not allowed on the vehicles, but Carter said it may become a possibility in the near future.

Companies such as The Spins will take its pedaling passengers to breweries, pubs and restaurants, along with a guided history tour through downtown Gainesville, according to a company presentation.

Casey Dean, a 25-year-old UF psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner doctoral student, said the attraction would be even better with ghost tours.

“I think it’s great that Gainesville has a young population to make something like this successful,” he said.

Proposed stops on the tour include First Magnitude Brewing Company, Tall Paul’s Brew House, the Hippodrome State Theatre, City Hall and Bo Diddley Plaza, according to the presentation.  

“It’s just another amenity to add excellence to our city, and it doesn’t cost us a penny,” Carter said.

One of the pedibuses is already in Gainesville, awaiting the recent decision, he said.

Though each cycle pub has safety features, such as seat belts and turn signals, riders will be required to sign a liability waiver, according to the presentation. Cycle pubs are also required to have $2 million liability insurance. Carter said he doesn’t drink, but party proposals remain for those who do.

“Some people suggested that the city commission get on the cycle pub to test it out, put a kegger of beer in the middle and solve the world’s problems,” Carter said.