Gainesville woman arrested in connection with growing operation

A Gainesville woman was arrested late Monday night when agents from the Drug Enforcement Administration found 25 marijuana plants and about two pounds of marijuana in her house.

Agents arrested Holly Rae Beauvais, 37, of 3608 NW 136th St., after several months of investigation.

In August, Gainesville’s DEA office received calls about some men who would show up at the house on 136th Street for about an hour each day. The callers said they suspected criminal activity.

For two months, DEA agents surveyed the house and noted the utility bills were in Beauvais’ name. During the stakeout, it appeared as if no one continuously lived in the house, according to a report from the DEA.

On Monday, agents met with Beauvais' brother at her house, where they reported smelling marijuana and hearing air conditioning units and fans run inside, according to the report.

The man did not give agents permission to search Beauvais' house.

Later, an agent called Beauvais at work and asked her if she had “more than 100 marijuana plants” in her house.

“No, there aren’t that many,” Beauvais said, according to the report.

Beauvais also said she was responsible for the plants.

A DEA source informed about the investigation said agents usually ask about the amount of marijuana plants in a person’s house because it could mean the difference between state or federal prosecution.

The agents returned to the house with a search warrant, seized the marijuana and arrested Beauvais at 11:45 p.m. She was charged with marijuana distribution and possession of more than 20 grams of marijuana, both third-degree felonies, according to the Alachua County Clerk of the Courts’ website.

The DEA official said no other person was arrested in connection to the drug bust “at this time.”

Beauvais was booked into the Alachua County Jail at 2 a.m. Tuesday, where she remained with a $5,000 bond, according to a jail official.

Contact Chris Alcantara at calcantara@alligator.org.

This article has been changed to reflect a correction.