'Boobies' bracelets could appear in U.S. Supreme Court case

<p>A battle concerning the popular, but controversial “I Heart Boobies” bracelets could potentially make it to the U.S. Supreme Court. Two Pennsylvania high school students petitioned against their school’s ban against the bracelets, arguing the bracelets promote breast cancer awareness among young people.</p>

A battle concerning the popular, but controversial “I Heart Boobies” bracelets could potentially make it to the U.S. Supreme Court. Two Pennsylvania high school students petitioned against their school’s ban against the bracelets, arguing the bracelets promote breast cancer awareness among young people.

“I❤Boobies!” bracelets may soon be the center of a U.S. Supreme Court case as a school district in Pennsylvania plans to appeal a federal court’s ruling that has allowed the bracelets in schools.

But some Gainesville residents say the thick plastic bands aren’t a big deal, especially because the phrase is advocating a good cause.

Lindy Brounley, communications director for the UF Health Cancer Center, said that any kind of health education or awareness project is positive. She said women between the ages of 40 and 70 need to get annual mammograms to help detect cancer early, and any campaigns that encourage that are beneficial.

The bracelets are put out by Keep A Breast Foundation, which promotes prevention and early detection.

Emily King, a 19-year-old Santa Fe elementary education sophomore, said she is well aware of the bracelets, but she doesn’t find them offensive.

“Breast cancer is a serious problem, and we can’t just sweep it under the rug because it might be uncomfortable to talk about,” she said.

King said the bracelets send a message similar to the American Cancer Society’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk that she’s participated in locally.

“Just like how the walk provides a great opportunity for survivors to get together, the bracelets provide a way to start a conversation with someone that may ask you about what you’re wearing,” she said.

Christian Gonzalez, a 20-year-old UF political science sophomore, said he thinks first amendment rights extend to the bracelets because they are not derogatory.

“If it had any explicit words or images, I would consider it inappropriate,” he said. “But the bracelets are just a relaxed approach to a powerful meaning.”

Gonzalez said he doesn’t see the issue going as far as the U.S. Supreme Court.

“I think it is pretty clear here that if the bracelets don’t disrupt the education environment, kids should be able to wear them,” he said. “Unless they are going to ban bracelets all together, then I think these Pennsylvania students will be able to proudly wear their support for breast cancer.”

A version of this story ran on page 5 on 11/4/2013 under the headline "'Boobies' bracelets could go to court"