Students to help elderly feel safe in cars

UF’s Department of Occupational Therapy will offer CarFit, a free and national program designed to help drivers fit safely and securely in their vehicles.

Linda Struckmeyer, an occupational therapy clinical lecturer, said UF has hosted the program for the past seven years. 

“Our goal is to reach out to mature drivers and to fit them in their cars safely and comfortably,” she said.

About 46 UF occupational therapy students will volunteer at the event Thursday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Senior Recreation Center at 5701 NW 34th St.

Annie Elinch, an occupational therapy graduate student, said the volunteers must complete some online training before being authorized to help at CarFit.

When the drivers come in, they will have to fill out paperwork and answer general questions about their car.

The students will then lead the drivers through a 12-point checklist with their vehicles, which will take about 20 minutes per driver. 

The students often recommend personal vehicle adaptations, such as adjusting the driver’s seat belt so it is sitting on their shoulders, rather than pulling on their shoulder muscles. 

The volunteers don’t actually make the changes, but they offer community resources and names of products that could make personal vehicles “fit” better and enhance the safety of drivers as a personal service.

Although most of the drivers who come to the event are elderly, Elinch said the event is for all ages.

“When I went through the check, my air bag was facing my face instead of my chest,” Elinch said. “(CarFit) is certainly beneficial for all ages.”

At the end of the checklist, drivers are given gift bags containing a first-aid kit, magnets, pins and air fresheners.

National sponsors for the event include the American Society on Aging, AAA, AARP and the American Occupational Therapy Association.

Molly Thompson, a UF nutrition junior, said she feels at ease knowing this program is helping elderly drivers, as her grandmother has trouble feeling secure in her car.

“Not only is this program helping mature drivers feel comfortable and safe while driving, it is saving lives and preventing future accidents from happening,” Thompson, 20, said.