A Gainesville man was arrested early Friday morning, accused of trapping his girlfriend in their apartment and attacking her for two hours.

Gainesville Police charged Mervin Smith, 56, of 1064 SE 22nd Ave., with aggravated domestic battery, aggravated assault with a weapon, false imprisonment and resisting arrest charges, according to jail records.

On Friday, Smith visited his girlfriend at work. He got angry when he found out that a male friend would drive the woman home later in the day, according to a GPD arrest report.

Later that evening, Smith returned home after a night of drinking, and when he got inside, he started punching and hitting the woman.

According to the report, Smith threw various items at the woman as she tried to get away from him.

Smith followed the woman into the kitchen and grabbed a knife.

According to the report, Smith cut the victim on the left side of her cheek and on the back of her head and ear.

Smith forced the woman to wash the blood off in the shower.

When she got out, Smith punched her again while throwing plates, pots and food at her.

The woman tried several times to escape from the apartment, but Smith held her from leaving and threatened her if she tried to make a run for it.

“If you leave, I’ll kill you,” he is quoted saying to the woman in the report.

The attack lasted for about two hours, but the woman eventually escaped and called police after Smith fell asleep.

Police responded and arrested Smith at 2:20 a.m., according to the report.

Smith told officers the argument was about him going out and that he never touched the woman.

He remained in Alachua County Jail on Sunday night with a $425,000 bond.

Contact Chris Alcantara at calcantara@alligator.org.