Gainesville native, ‘Walking Dead’ actor to perform at The Jam to benefit cancer patients

A Gainesville native and actor is giving back to cancer patients at an upcoming show.

Jarod Thompson, who starred in season five of AMC’s “The Walking Dead,” will kick off his nationwide tour March 6 at The Jam. A portion of the ticket sales and all of the raffle ticket sales will go to the American Cancer Society. 

Thompson, who played Officer Tanaka in the popular television series, graduated from Buchholz High School in 2004. At his hometown show, Clint Fairfield will open followed by The Ups. Thompson will close the night with his own set, which will also feature Stevie Benz, said Rachel Richards, his media representative.

Throughout the night there will be raffles of “The Walking Dead” merchandise and tickets to the Walker Stalker Con in Orlando this June.

Thompson is a guitarist at heart, but he also plays drums, bass and keys, Richards said. She said Thompson aims to use “The Walking Dead” and his musical performances to create a platform of support for cancer patients, survivors and their families.

Jam co-owner Blake Briand said he hopes the bands get to play for a full house.

“Jarod has done a great job setting up his event,” Briand said.

Doors will open at 7:30 p.m. at The Jam, at 817 W. University Ave. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 the day of. Tickets are available at on.fb.me/1BDG6R8.

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 2/27/2015 under the headline “GNV native, ‘Walking Dead’ actor to perform at The Jam”]