Gainesville bead store closes after 23 years, moves online

A local bead store is closing shop and moving its merchandise online.

Because of a slow economy and the movement to online shopping, owner Rhonda  Bergman decided it was time to run her business from home.

“It’s been like a dream,” Bergman said, referring to learning different jewelry-making techniques throughout the years.

Rhonda Bergman opened up Gifts of Avalon 23 years ago on Southwest First Avenue with her partner, Trude Spillane. 

But two years ago, Spillane retired. Since then, Bergman’s store manager, Holly Merton, has worked nonstop running the shop, teaching classes and building the online side of the business. 

Francine Schulze started coming into Gifts of Avalon when she was 5 years old. Now 21, she has worked at the store for more than three years.

Schulze is still an avid beader and likes “bead work, fine gems, anything tedious.”

“I definitely like the customers,” she said. ”It is kind of fun helping out because you find ways to work on your own jewelry by explaining things to other people.”

After opening the  store’s original location, Bergman moved her shop to University Avenue and operated there for about six years before moving to its current location at 4205 NW 16th Blvd. 

Bergman said the exact closing date has not been determined. She expects it to be around mid-February and plans on staying in Gainesville.

Bergman said she has enjoyed her time with the store, but it’s time to move on.

“It’s a very bittersweet closing,” Bergman said. “I have a lot of great memories. I’ve met so many great people, and that is probably what I will miss the most is seeing some of the wonderful people I have met every day.”     

She will continue selling merchandise online at etsy.com/shop/AvalonBeads.

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 1/20/2015 under the headline “Gainesville bead store to close after 23 years"]