Political commentator gives opinions pre-election

With Election Day less than a month away, Florida is once again in the national spotlight, according to a distinguished professor of political science at the University of South Florida.

Susan MacManus is also the most-quoted political commentator in the state of Florida, and among the top five most widely quoted in the nation.

MacManus spoke to a crowd of about 60 people in Pugh Hall Tuesday night about the Florida gubernatorial and senate races and the anger of voters.

The economy and a lack of jobs are causing  frustration and therefore an interesting race in Florida politics, she said.

“Florida is the fourth largest state and if Charlie Crist wins as an Independent, it will set a new model for Independent candidates to run and win in other states,” MacManus said

She also talked about national politics and how Americans have little confidence in Congress.

During her PowerPoint presentation, she highlighted several Rasmussen reports about American’s attitudes on pressing issues such as the federal deficit, immigration, federal stimulus and confidence in Congress.

In the May 2010 Rasmussen report, 41 percent of Americans reportedly said a group of people selected at random from the phone book would do a better job than the current Congress.

The September 2010 Rasmussen report states that 79 percent of people believe that members of Congress are more interested in advancing their own careers than helping their constituents.

“People believe that big is not good and neither is longevity for members in Congress,” MacManus said.

Americans are frustrated and they want someone different representing them, she said.

With voters angry about the economy and little confidence in law makers, it will be a wild race the next couple of weeks, she said. 

Ann Henderson, director of the Bob Graham Center, said she hopes that voters will be better informed to cast their ballots in four weeks. “You couldn’t do better listening to Susan MacManus and to her analysis of Florida politics,” Henderson said.