Two student-founded moving companies joining forces, expanding reach

Two student-founded companies are movin’ on up.

Smarter Moving Solutions and 2 College Brothers, Inc. are joining to create what Wade Swikle called “one awesome student moving company.”

Swikle, the founder and owner of Smarter Moving Solutions, is teaming up with Bryan Weschler and Kevin Weschler, founders of 2 College Brothers, Inc.

Their vision is to expand to college towns across America, Swikle said.

The companies only hire college students as movers, something Swikle said sets them apart from other moving companies in the areas they serve: Gainesville, Tallahassee and Orlando.

He explained the two companies were competitors but they decided consolidating would benefit both the companies as well as the customers.

“I was actually sitting in a meeting, and we were talking about how we were going to expand when we got a call from one of the brothers, who was looking to pursue other career options,” Swikle said.

Because they were competing in the same areas for the same jobs, the merge will eliminate the tough choice some clients had to make between the companies, he said.

“Our customers won’t have to pick between us,” Swikle said. “2 College Brothers have a much stronger branding than we had, and I think our marketing strategies will complement their structure.”

The companies will merge under the 2 College Brothers, Inc. name but will incorporate features of Smarter Moving Solutions in their management.

Some customers of Smarter Moving Solutions said they are excited about the merge because it will extend the reach of both companies.

Ricky Cuellar, the operations manager of music streaming site Grooveshark, said Smarter Moving Solutions was a big help when Grooveshark was moving one of its locations.

“I think the merge will be good,” he said. “(It) might give them a better rate. I’m sure his network now includes customers from the other company. Now, they’ve got more hands on the ground to help more people move.”

A typical move with Smarter Moving Solutions costs $95 per hour, and a full move costs about $200 for a student. However, pricing hasn’t been worked out post-merge.

“Smarter Moving Solutions is the official mover of the UF Student Government, and 2 College Brothers was a 2012 Business of the Year finalist,” Swinkle wrote in an email.

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 10/11/2013 under the headline "Student movers to join forces"