Woman accused of attacking man after dog sitting

What began as pet sitting ended with an attack that landed one man in the hospital and a woman behind bars.

Lashona M. Campbell, 43, was arrested around noon Wednesday in connection with the attack.

According to a Gainesville Police Department arrest report, the victim was watching Campbell’s dog. When Campbell went to retrieve the dog June 1, she was talking with the victim in his backyard when she noticed that another woman there.

Campbell later said in a phone interview that she was romantically involved with the victim for about 20 years.

Campbell became upset, according to the report, and began to argue with the victim, eventually pushing and striking him.

The victim attempted to flee to the front yard of his residence when Campbell allegedly threw an object at him, but missed and hit a truck parked in the yard.

The victim told police that Campbell threw a metal bicycle seat post, while Campbell said she threw a dog shampoo bottle.

Campbell caught up with the victim on his front porch and began to push and strike him again with her hands, according to the report.

The victim had a fistula, a medically enlarged vein used for kidney dialysis, in his right arm. He was admitted to the hospital the next day and learned that he will need surgery to fix the damage.

After she was in custody, Campbell admitted she knew that the victim had a fistula in his arm before the attack.

Campbell was charged with felony aggravated assault and felony battery. She was released Wednesday night after paying a $236 cash bond, according to the Alachua County jail.

Contact Shelby Webb at swebb@alligator.org.