U.S. 441, I-75 reopened following closures Monday morning

Update: All lanes of U.S. 441 and I-75 are open again, according to an official with the Florida Highway Patrol. They were closed for about nine hours Monday morning.

Interstate 75 and U.S. 441 were closed again Monday morning because of poor visibility.

All northbound and southbound lanes on both roads were shut down at 1:37 a.m. Monday, Florida Highway Patrol Lt. Patrick Riordan said.

I-75 is closed from Exit 382 near Williston Road to mile marker 358 in Marion County, a stretch of about 24 miles. U.S. 441 is closed from Williston Road to the place where 441 and U.S. 301 split near Reddick. That stretch is about 25 miles.

The road closures come in the wake of a series of crashes on the northbound and southbound lanes of I-75 early Sunday morning that left 10 dead, 21 in local hospitals and about 20 vehicles wrecked.

A mixture of smoke from a brush fire on Paynes Prairie and fog left drivers barely able to see in front of them prior to the crashes.

FHP closed all lanes of the interstate as workers pulled passenger cars and semitrailers off the road Sunday afternoon. The northbound lane was reopened at 5:42 p.m. before shutting down about eight hours later.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.