Global films come to Gainesville festival this weekend

The 7th Annual Cinema Verde International Environmental Film and Arts Festival is coming to the Hippodrome State Theatre from Thursday to Sunday.

The festival will host 18 feature-length films and 22 short films from around the world, according to a press release.

The footage — filmed in places such as Australia, Japan and Florida — focuses on sustainable solutions to environmental issues, according to the release.

Trish Riley, director of Cinema Verde, said she hopes more people enjoy the films each year, especially as the nonprofit event’s need for funding grows with its popularity.

“It’s still a mountain worth climbing,” she said.

A VIP reception opens the event Thursday, followed by a local food potluck Saturday and an EcoFair on Sunday.

Sunday’s fair includes art, music, vendors and films at the Sun Center Plaza, situated at 101 SE second Place, according to the release.

Elam Stoltzfus, an Emmy-award-winning filmmaker who earned his bachelor’s degree from Florida State University, will start the festival with his film, “Coastal Dune Lakes: Jewels of Florida’s Emerald Coast.” Stoltzfus’s film reveals why the lakes are special and what can be done to protect them.

Tickets for general admission to the festival are $7 and VIP tickets are $25, and both are available for purchase on the Hippodrome’s website.

Melissa Horadam, a UF business administration and master of international business senior, is a fundraising and donor communications intern for the event.

The 22-year-old said she believes everyone can find something to enjoy at the festival.

“This isn’t just about tree huggers; there is a variety of aspects to sustainability,” Horadam said.