E-readers, tablets allowed after airlines lift electronics ban

By the end of the year, airline passengers will be allowed to keep their electronic devices turned on during a flight, and Gainesville residents are reacting positively to the regulation change.

The Federal Aviation Administration announced last week the rules will soon allow passengers to use them on airplanes during the entire flight.

Passengers will eventually be able to read e-books, play games and watch videos without powering off their devices in order to allow the aircraft to take off and land safely, according to an FAA press release. Although most portable devices will be acceptable, cellphone usage is still limited.

Les Dorr, an FAA spokesperson in Washington, D.C., said the Portable Electronic Device Aviation Rulemaking Committee, a group of industry and airline experts, met in January to observe comments about the regulation from the industry and the general public.

Dorr said JetBlue, Delta and American Airlines have been approved by the FAA and expects other airlines to be approved as well.

Strange facts about air travel

Laura Fuller, a Gainesville resident, frequent flier and software representative, said she uses flights as a time to work, and the previous regulation took away productivity time.

“I think it’s going to help people be more productive,” Fuller said. “It’s nice to have that continuity.”

Fuller said she often uses the flight time to read an e-book for pleasure as well.

“Even if I just want to relax and read a best-seller or something, I can do that on my Nook,” Fuller said. “It just gives me a lot more freedom.”

In the committee report released in September, most of the comments proved in favor of the new rule, Dorr said.

He said the goal was to examine if the present state of technology and use of electronic devices could be expanded safely from gate to gate.

“Our whole concern was, ‘Could the use of (personal electronic devices) be expanded and be consistent with keeping the operation of the aircraft safe?’” Dorr said.

John Spence, a Gainesville resident who flies frequently, said he embraces the decision because he enjoys reading e-books.

“It’s a hassle to have to shut them off for 15 or 20 minutes while they taxi and take off,” said Spence, who travels 200 days a year and only flies out of the Gainesville Regional Airport.

He said the biggest improvement to the new regulation is that pressure will be taken off of flight attendants who have to constantly ask passengers to turn off their devices.

“I’m happy for that,” Spence said.

Spence said the previous rule of turning off electronic devices seemed silly and outdated.

“It’s not impacting the performance of the plane at all,” Spence said.

A version of this story ran on page 14 on 11/8/2013 under the headline "E-readers, tablets allowed after airlines lift electronics ban"