University Club grieves legendary drag queen lost to cancer

Gainesville suffered the loss of an iconic performer Wednesday to colon and liver cancer.

Ocala-born William Moorehead, better known as Lady Pearl, was a staple at University Club nightclub. With her big hair, glamorous gowns and sassy personality, the city of Gainesville is now missing a captivating character. She was 54.

The nightclub, located at 18 E. University Ave., was her second home. Behind the horseshoe-shaped bar, a neon sign now reads, “She may be gone, but she will never, ever be forgotten.” 

Moorehead, who identified as a woman, said Pearl was a reflection of her mind. In a video interview, she said she was deeply connected to her character.

India Brooks, a fellow drag queen and close friend of Pearl’s, said Pearl was vulgar onstage but motherly and kind behind the scenes. She recalled a show they hosted together on Pearl’s birthday in the early ‘90s. After Pearl’s performance, Brooks took the microphone to perform her set, but Pearl wasn’t done. 

“Give me that microphone,” Pearl said sassily to Brooks. 

“Your fat a** can’t catch me,” Brooks said before running away as Pearl playfully chased her.

After running around and up and down stairs, Pearl finally caught up, snatching Brooks’ wig off. Brooks then smashed Pearl’s own birthday cake in her face. 

“It was a wig-slinging cake fight,” Brooks said. 

When Pearl moved to Fayetteville, North Carolina, near the end of her career, she committed to 16-hour road trips to Gainesville for performances. Backstage at UC, she took one hour to apply thick eyelashes, sculpt her eyebrows and carefully paint her lips before each show. 

Under the club’s lights, Pearl found comfort. Her drag queen show lasted more than 20 years. She left William Moorehead behind as she sang, danced and flailed her manicured hands, making fun of fans in her rich Southern accent.

Even as patrons put dollar bills in her hands and down her shirt during shows, Pearl never slipped out of character. 

UC bartender Kenny Scott lived with Pearl in the early ‘90s. For 20 years, Scott said Pearl packed the club with about 300 fans each Thursday.

“University Club will be missing something big,” Scott said.

He said the club is planning a memorial service that will be open to fans.

“It’ll never be the same,” he said. 

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 8/29/2014 under the headline "University Club grieves legendary drag queen lost to cancer"]