New chef doubles food sales at Gator City

With black paint, young Adam Cooper painted over a purple Easy Bake Oven and transformed it into his first oven. Fifteen years later, he catered for Rep. Ted Yoho’s re-election party at Gator City’s nightclub, Envy. Today, the 25-year-old has doubled Gator City’s food sales in the seven months he’s worked as a chef there.

This increase in sales has caused the restaurant to go smoke-free. When more than 10 percent of a bar’s sales come from food, it is considered a restaurant that has to abide by the Florida Clean Indoor Air Act.

Originally from Hawthorne, a 20-minute drive from Gainesville, Cooper said his mom and the Food Network taught him how to cook “anything I could get my hands on.”  

“I always wanted to eat good food, so if I cooked it, my brother wouldn’t have the chance to eat it,” he said, laughing.

In 2010, Cooper earned an associate degree in culinary arts at the Lincoln Culinary Institute, formerly the Florida Culinary Institute, in West Palm Beach. 

After graduating, he worked as a line cook at Embers and Mother’s Pub & Grill. He also worked as a part-time bouncer at Gator City, but his goal was always to get into the kitchen. 

This summer, he was hired as the sports bar’s chef, his first position of management.

Cooper said he’s heard positive comments about the food from customers. Since becoming chef, Cooper has “put forth a quality menu,” said Jon Gold, Gator City’s general manager.

Gold said Cooper is one of his best employees because he is creative and receptive.

“He makes it easy for me,” Gold said.

Cooper has added new menu items, such as pork products and loaded fries, and cut wait times in half during football season.

“I spend most of my time in here, whether I’m working or not,” he said.

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 2/2/2015 under the headline “chef doubles food sales at Gator City"]