Ultra Music Festival now only allowing 18 and up entrance

College students no longer have to worry about their younger siblings tagging along to Miami’s Ultra Music Festival.

Attendees now must be 18 or older to partake in the festival’s electronic beats, flower headbands and sweaty crowds.

Bre Berry, a 20-year-old UF advertising senior and director of Swamp Records, said it was obvious for Ultra to ban minors.

"The culture of EDM is very adult-themed, so people under 18 should not be allowed into Ultra," she said. "I’m sure Ultra was under pressure from the City of Miami as well."

The festival, scheduled for March 27 to 29 of next year, was heavily criticized after incidents, including a guard getting trampled and an attendee dying from an overdose.

Chloe Ehrlich, a 20-year-old UF advertising junior, said the ban was smart for Ultra.

"When I went to Ultra, I noticed kids as young as 13 years old getting involved with drugs and scandalous behavior," she said. "It’s a good thing. Adolescents should not be exposed to this type of partying just yet."

Tony Weinbender, creator of local music festival Fest, said he runs things a little differently than Ultra’s open venue.

Fest, taking place from Oct. 31 through Nov. 2, will be using 12 venues in Gainesville where the age will depend on each venue.

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 9/4/2014 under the headline "Minors: Ultra now 18 and up"]