The Coop gives away free chicken, tea with KISS 105.3 event

<p>Students line up outside The Coop on University Ave. Wedesnday afternoon for free chicken tenders and sweet tea.</p>

Students line up outside The Coop on University Ave. Wedesnday afternoon for free chicken tenders and sweet tea.

A Midtown restaurant served more than 1,000 students free food Wednesday afternoon, including coolers of sweet tea and more than a half ton of chicken.

From 4 to 7 p.m., a line wrapped around The Coop, located at 1620 W. University Ave.

"I originally only shared (the event) with my friends, and I only promoted it on Facebook twice," said manager Adrienne Harrow. "It just kind of blew up from there."

Harrow set up the Facebook event in coordination with KISS 105.3 and The Coop’s owners, Darren Kay, 27, and Steven Kay, 30. The radio station played music for the crowd waiting in the heat.

The giveaway generated more than 23,000 page views on the company’s Facebook page, Harrow said.

One of those views was Samm Mattson, a 21-year-old UF tourism and hospitality management senior, who was first in line.

"I mean, it’s free food, so I made sure I was first," she said.

The restaurant held a similar event early this year, when they ran out of food, so they more than quadrupled the supplies they brought in for the day.

The Coop also advertised its new late-night window, which will be open until 3 a.m. every Wednesday through Saturday.

There to watch the brothers’ busy day was their mother, Sue Kay.

"I have the best two sons possible," she said. "Mama’s proud."

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 9/4/2014 under the headline "The Coop gives away free chicken, tea with KISS 105.3 event"]