Delayed renovations at county shelter limit adoptions

Renovations at Alachua County Animal Services are behind schedule, which means less space for incoming animals.

The shelter is improving its kennels, but the project is taking longer than expected because of moisture in the walls, said Ed Williams, the shelter’s director. The budget is about $80,000, and about two-thirds of the project is complete.

The project began Dec. 19 and was scheduled to finish Feb. 2, according to a press release.

Because the project is done in phases, the shelter is unable to fill to capacity, Williams said.

This winter, the number of animals in the shelter are uncharacteristically high, he said. He said it has been difficult to keep up with the intake, and too few people have been adopting.

In an attempt to make room, the shelter held a free adoption event Saturday where 15 dogs were adopted, Williams said.

“It’s really good for an adoption event for just one day, but as director, I wish we had more,” he said. “I would’ve liked to see us adopt 50 in one day.”

Susan Clontz, a 63-year-old Gainesville resident, adopted a Jack Russell terrier mix from the shelter.

She said Sadie, who is 7 years old, was going to be put down before Clontz adopted her.

Clontz said after her last dog died, she felt like something was missing until she met Sadie.

“Sadie has filled that void,” she said.