Camp Balance 180 helps kids stay active

Balance 180 kicked off its second summer camp on Monday.

With the focus of integrating all athletes of varying abilities into the world of sports, Balance 180 is one of few inclusive summer camps in the Alachua County area, which means that children of varying abilities and needs are welcome.  

The camp runs through Aug. 1 at the gym at 6527 NW 18th Drive and takes place Monday through Friday, with athletes ranging from 2 to 15 years old.  

Administrative coordinator Julie Foster said gymnastics is not only physical exercise, it helps develop social skills and listening skills, and teaches children to take turns.

“We really want to encourage our campers to be physically active and healthy,” Foster said.

Foster works behind the scenes and coordinates the logistics of the camp, such as any field trips that it might take.

A regular day at camp includes an hour of gymnastics instruction and activities such as crafting, games and special guest appearances.

Volunteer coordinator Sharon Medina said fulfilling the camp’s projected ratio of two volunteers per camper won’t be an issue because there are more than 60 volunteers this summer. 

“We first recruit at the University of Florida because it’s one of our biggest networks for volunteers,” Medina said.

This summer, Balance 180 expects more than 75 athletes to attend the summer program. 

The campers require consistency from volunteers, which means recruiting over the summer can be more challenging in comparison to Fall and Spring semesters because of conflicting schedules, Medina said.

Nancy Vallejo, a 21-year-old UF communication sciences and disorders senior, said her experience at Balance 180 last year was invaluable.

“I was able to apply the knowledge I accumulated from class and invest in the lives of those in the Gainesville community,” Vallejo said.

Balance 180 provides plenty of opportunities for locals and college students to get involved aside from its summer camp. 

During Fall and Spring semesters, it has an adaptive gymnastics program and a Special Olympics young athletes program that is always looking for volunteers. 

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 7/15/2014 under the headline "Camp helps kids stay active"]