Hippodrome reaches Kickstarter goal to fund digital upgrade

<p>The Hippodrome State Theatre, 25 SE Second Place, reached its Kickstarter goal to fund a project that will revamp the way it plays films.</p>

The Hippodrome State Theatre, 25 SE Second Place, reached its Kickstarter goal to fund a project that will revamp the way it plays films.

The Hippodrome State Theatre reached its goal of $15,000 to fund a transition to digital film presentation so it can continue showing movies.

Proceeds from the Kickstarter campaign, which began in July, will go toward upgrading projector technology inside of the Hippodrome. Small theaters across the country are raising money to make the switch as the national movie industry discontinues 35 millimeter film reels.

Now that the Hippodrome has the funds, the upgrades are expected to begin within the next couple of months, cinema director Alisha Kinman wrote in an email.

The Hippodrome reached its goal two days before the deadline and plans to raise additional funds to support further improvements, such as adding cupholders to theater seats, she said.

Kinman attributed the campaign’s success to working with an arts-driven community.

Alison Hassell, a 20-year-old UF marketing junior, said she enjoys attending events at the Hippodrome and is excited to see the updates.

“It’ll probably attract more people to the theater because they know the quality of the feature presentation will be better,” Hassell said.

The updates will enhance the theater’s appeal, especially to the student community, Hassell said.

Kinman agreed.

“We thrive on the concept that you will not just leave our movie theater with a ticket stub,” Kinman wrote. “You will leave with an experience.”

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 9/18/2013 under the headline "Hippodrome reaches goal to fund upgrades"