An ongoing investigation of the death of a UF student is expected to be ruled a homicide, according to the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office.

Firefighters discovered the body of Saleha Huuda, 21, after extinguishing a small brush fire off of County Road 225, a half-mile north of Gainesville Raceway, on Dec. 30.

The fire was reported by a passing motorist at about 2:40 a.m.

Following the discovery, Alachua County sheriff’s deputies were called to the scene, and have since been investigating Huuda’s death as a homicide.

“We are definitely viewing it as a suspicious death and we anticipate the medical examiner will make that determination,” said Art Forgey, public information officer for the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office.

There is no estimate as to when the examiner will finish the analysis, but Forgey said the cause of death would “probably be ruled a murder.”

Police have no suspects.

The investigation is ongoing, and authorities are trying to determine how the fire was started and how Huuda ended up at that location.

“It’s safe to say the fire didn’t start there on its own,” Forgey said.

The question, he added, is whether Huuda started the fire herself or if the fire was started with different intent, like trying to cover up a crime.

Huuda’s car was found elsewhere, in the 1500 block of SW 42nd Street, he said.

Huuda lived at The District on 62nd apartment complex, located at 1000 SW 62nd Blvd.

Authorities are forensically analyzing her vehicle, a 2001 silver Nissan Sentra, hoping to find evidence that could lead to a break in the case.

“The car was obviously a key piece of evidence,” Forgey said. “It was not where she lived; it was not where she was found. The car got there some way, and she got to where she was some way.”

Huuda was a flier, or the girl who gets tossed in the air, on the UF Competitive Cheerleading squad.

Amanda Barton, president of the squad, said she remembered Huuda as being someone who was always upbeat and sociable.

“She just always had a big smile on her face,” she said.

Authorities are still trying to assemble a timeline of events that led up to the crime, and those with information are urged to call Crime Stoppers at 352-372-STOP or the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office at 352-955-1818.

A candlelight vigil for Huuda will be held at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Reitz Union Amphitheater.