Electronics company creates 3-D printing design challenge

Mouser Electronics, an electronic component distributor, launched a challenge for engineers across the country to submit designs for objects that can be used in space.

The winning design, which can be a research item, tool or entertainment component, will be 3-D printed and used by astronauts on the International Space Station.

The I.S.S. Design Challenge, which opened Monday to all levels of engineers, focuses on college-aged students because a win can help launch their careers, said Raymond Yin, the company’s director of technical content.

“College-engineering students are the future of innovation,” Yin said. “The I.S.S. Design Challenge allows them an opportunity to show their creative and technical talents at an early stage in their career and to truly be part of something original that could impact space exploration on a global scale.”

Mouser Electronics connected with Made In Space last year when Mouser Electronics began researching space technology for the Empowering Innovation Together series.

“We were intrigued by Made In Space’s plans to send a 3-D printer to the I.S.S., and we thought, ‘Wouldn’t it be cool to take it a step further and add electronic components to 3-D printed objects on the space station?’” Yin said.

Students must submit an image of the design, an electrical graphic, the PCB fabrication files and a bill of materials, according to the company’s website.

The designs will be judged by Grant Imahara, the former host of “Mythbusters,” and Col. Chris Hadfield, the commander of the I.S.S. in 2013.

According to the website, the first-place winner will receive a 3-D printer, and the second- and third-place winners will receive fluke meters, which measure voltage and currents for electronic projects. All participants will receive Mouser Genius T-shirts.

Entries must be submitted before midnight on Oct. 7.

UF has a 3-D printer on the third floor of the Materials Engineering building, which is free to all engineering students.

Brandon Rosenthal, the lab manager for the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering 3-D printing lab, said he enjoys how the challenge inspires students to get more involved during their time at UF.

“If we can develop printers like this that work on the International Space Station, then eventually we can develop printers that can work on Mars,” said the 20-year-old mechanical and aerospace engineering junior. “This is really a cool entry step to that process, and its really cool that students have the ability to get in on this process early on.”