DJ Skrillex to play at The Vault

Friends know him as Sonny Moore. Music enthusiasts may know him as the old singer for From First To Last. But forget what you know.

His name is Skrillex.

The 23-year-old musician is one of the rising stars in the dance scene, and tonight he's bringing his chart-topping sound to The Vault dance floor, 238 W University Ave., at 8 p.m.

Tickets can be purchased for $20 online at showclix.com or for $25 at the door.

His style can best be described as funky but vicious. One moment it's upbeat and melodic, and the next it's dirty and aggressive.

It's this genre-bending quality that's catapulted him to the top with admiration from fans and fellow producers.

Moore recently released his first EP, "My Name Is Skrillex," in June 2010 to much acclaim.

Soon after he made his debut, he was signed to mega-DJ Deadmau5's label, Mau5trap records, and set forth on a national tour to spread the bass.

Still, he's no newcomer to the music industry. Moore dropped out of school when he was 16 to pursue his music career and never stopped. He's spent the past seven years of his life touring and making records without experiencing teenage rights-of-passage like the SAT or prom.

"I don't know anything else," Moore said. "I don't know what normal really is. To me, this is normal."

But he isn't weighed down by his unusual beginnings. He said he's only excited about this new chapter in his life.

"Whenever I get some kind of success I just want to work harder," he said. "I'm working on the road all the time ... My studio is my laptop."

Currently, he's working on some tracks for a re-release of his second EP, "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites," due in February.

Just days ago, he completed a song for a forthcoming video game, though he couldn't say which one, and he's not slowing down.

"I just like making music, man," he said. "At the end of the day I'm not really trying to do anything else."