On Thursday, the Boy Scouts of America lifted a longtime ban and voted to allow openly gay youths to join the association.

But for many the decision was bittersweet — openly gay scout leaders are still banned.

“The resolution also reinforces that Scouting is a youth program, and any sexual conduct, whether heterosexual or homosexual, by youth of Scouting age is contrary to the virtues of Scouting,” according to the news release. “A change to the current membership policy for adult leaders was not under consideration; thus, the policy for adults remains in place.”

Joseph Antonelli, 70, founder and president of Gainesville Community Alliance, said allowing in gay youth is a step in the right direction, but forbidding gay adults sends the wrong message to children.

Antonelli said it was wrong for a scout to have to feel like his two gay dads are inappropriate or not good enough to be scout leaders.

“I think that’s completely B.S.,” he said. “And I don’t mean Boy Scout.”

Although he was happy about the progress, Antonelli said the acceptance of gay adults by the historically conservative association will likely not come in the immediate future.

The Boy Scouts of America said its mission would not be sacrificed and there are no plans for further review on the matter.

“Going forward, our Scouting family will continue to focus on reaching and serving youth in order to help them grow into good, strong citizens,” the news release said. “America’s youth need Scouting, and by focusing on the goals that unite us, we can continue to accomplish incredible things for young people and the communities we serve.”

However, Antonelli said if leaders are teaching the boys integrity, honesty and to be good people, it is time to come to grips with full equality.

Sterling Davenport, a UF alumnus and Eagle Scout, came out to his parents in 2012. He said he was surprised and happy about the lifted ban.

Because the Boy Scouts of America are funded largely by conservative organizations, Davenport said it was a courageous decision. It takes effect Jan. 1.

Although he said the decision was a step forward, Davenport said the battle hasn’t been won.

“It’s a nice idea to let the youth in,” the 24-year-old said. “But to let them in and tell them it’s not okay once they turn 18 is not the right message to send.”

As a gay man, Davenport said he wasn’t the model Boy Scout in the eye of the association.

“I felt like I earned my rank and I wear it proudly, but I felt like I had to do it by hiding a part of myself,” he said. “I don’t want any other youth to feel like they have to hide who they are to learn lessons about doing service to others.”

Contact Alexa Volland at avolland@alligator.org.