A 24-year-old UF student drowned at the Stoneridge Apartments complex pool early Saturday morning, according to Gainesville Police. 

UF spokesman Steve Orlando confirmed the student’s identity Tuesday, but officers are still trying to contact his family overseas in India. 

Krishnendu Saha was an electrical and computer engineering graduate student, Orlando said. Saha started at UF this semester, only a few weeks before drowning in the pool at about 5 a.m. Saturday.

At about 4:30 a.m., GPD officers responded to a noise complaint at the Stoneridge pool at 3800 SW 34th St., where a group of students were hosting a gathering and asked them to leave.

But half an hour later, two students returned to the area to pick up items they forgot and saw Saha at the bottom of the 8-foot-deep pool. They immediately called 911. 

Saha’s body was pulled out of the pool by GPD Officer Ahipo Doualehi. Gainesville Fire Rescue administered CPR, but Saha was pronounced dead at UF Health Shands Hospital’s emergency room.

GPD spokesman Officer Ben Tobias said although alcohol was likely a factor, officers did not suspect foul play.

Susan Huang, a 20-year-old UF journalism junior who lives at Stoneridge, said she found out about the drowning after it occurred when a friend texted her.

“It’s definitely eerie thinking about swimming in a pool that someone died in,” Huang said.

Stoneridge management said they could not comment on the situation. 

Saha’s last Facebook profile picture featured a quote from the Pink Floyd song “Comfortably Numb.”

“There is no pain, you are receding,” the quote reads. “A distant ship’s smoke on the horizon.”

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 9/17/2014 under the headline "UF graduate student drowned"]