Keith Skipper has taught MoJo, a 1-year-old Basenji and Italian greyhound mix, everything he knows.

He’s taught him how to obey basic commands. He’s taught him how to play nicely with other dogs and people. He’s even taught him how to jump through a hula hoop 3 feet off the ground.

Skipper, an inmate at Gainesville Work Camp, spent eight weeks training MoJo as part of Paws on Parole, a program that pairs inmates with rescued dogs from Alachua County Animal Services.

On March 5, Skipper watched MoJo graduate.

“It’s a great, great program and a real win-win situation,” said Hilary Hynes, Alachua County Animal Services public education program coordinator and Paws on Parole organizer.

Each class consists of six inmates partnered with six dogs. For eight weeks, the inmates spend about seven hours per day training their dogs, teaching them basic commands, obedience and social skills assisted by two professional trainers.

The dogs are put up for adoption for a $45 adoption fee once they graduate.

The program was founded a year ago, and since then, 36 dogs have graduated.

Sgt. Eric Wooten, work squad sergeant and Paws on Parole organizer, said inmates learn patience and accountability by training the animals.

“It’s a lot of responsibility, having to care for another,” Wooten said.

The dogs become more adoptable through their training while the inmates learn how to properly handle and care for the dogs, Hynes said.

“[The inmates] are just fantastic. They are great with the dogs,” Hynes said. “I’d hire any of them as a dog trainer.”

Many dogs that enter the program have been abused or abandoned. Through the training, the inmates help the dogs overcome some of these behavioral and psychological problems.

All six dogs in the latest graduating class were adopted before they completed the program.

Steven Sanchez came from Altamonte Springs, Fla., to pick up his graduate, MoJo. After finalizing paperwork, and buckling on a New York Yankees collar, MoJo was a member of the Sanchez family.

“We can’t wait to have him for years to come,” he said.