Sue the dinosaur breaks the record for museum visitors

<p>George Hecht, coordinator of museum operations at the Florida Museum of Natural History, speaks to an audience about Sue, the largest and most well-preserved T-rex skeleton ever found, in the museum Jan. 24.</p>

George Hecht, coordinator of museum operations at the Florida Museum of Natural History, speaks to an audience about Sue, the largest and most well-preserved T-rex skeleton ever found, in the museum Jan. 24.

Sue has done it again. The 12-foot-tall Tyrannosaurus rex has smashed the visitation numbers of the Florida Museum of Natural History for the second time in 13 years.

Since the exhibit “A T. rex Named Sue” opened Jan. 24, more than 35,000 visitors have come to the museum to see the cast of the largest, most complete T. rex ever found.

“It was basically our first real blockbuster exhibit,” said Katina Prokos, the marketing assistant of the museum. “It got our visitation numbers through the roof … and we were really excited to bring it back for a new generation of dinosaur enthusiasts.”

Deanne Pool, a UF mom, has been to the exhibit, but it was certainly not the first time Pool heard of Sue. She wrote the radio copy when the discovery was made.

“When I found out Sue was here I just had to come see because it was something I had written about,” Pool said. 

Sue will be on display until Sept. 13. The museum is open Monday to Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m. 

Admission is free for all UF students with a valid Gator 1 Card and costs $7.50 for adults, $6.50 for Florida residents and seniors and $4.50 for children between the ages of 3 and 17.