A semitruck transporting cattle crashed on Interstate 75 south of West Newberry Road, causing several hours of traffic delays Saturday afternoon.

The incident happened at about noon.

Travis Carr, a 20-year-old Okeechobee resident, was driving southbound in his semitruck when one of the truck’s front wheels blew out, according to a Florida Highway Patrol accident report.

The truck veered right and struck a guardrail, according to the report.

It continued south over the road shoulder until it crashed into a tree line near Mile Marker 387.

FHP officers and Alachua County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to the crash.

They redirecting highway traffic while emergency medical personnel worked to clear the road.

Officials also chased after several cows that escaped from the truck.

An ambulance took Carr to Shands at UF for treatment.

His passenger, Bryan Martin, 50, of Okeechobee, suffered minor injuries, according to the report.

For several hours, traffic on I-75 slowed down.

At 12:30 p.m., Gainesville/Alachua County Smarttraffic reported that northbound traffic was backed up about 9 miles south from the crash to Payne’s Prairie.

Southbound traffic stretched 12 miles past exit 400 in Alachua.

By 5 p.m., officials reopened all southbound lanes after clearing the road and gathering all the escaped cattle with the exception of one animal.

It was shot after it became aggressive, according to published reports.

Contact Chris Alcantara at [email protected].

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.