Kanapaha Gardens holds 26th annual Spring Garden Festival

Andraya Mendez plans to add another plant to the half-dozen succulents and flowers already in her apartment. 

Kanapaha Botanical Gardens will host its 26th annual Spring Garden Festival on Saturday and Sunday, when residents can find about 140 booths and activities for both adults and children, Alexis Caffrey, the garden’s director, said. 

“I mean, I think I’ll like the atmosphere,” Mendez, a 21-year-old UF plant science junior, said. “It’s not just plants, it’s also activities you can do.”  

This year’s event is centered around a bamboo garden theme, said Alexis Caffrey. As of press time, more than 600 people RSVP’d on the event’s Facebook page. 

Components of the event, such as the flower show and children’s area, will incorporate bamboo, she said. The festival also includes a plant auction from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday.

In the children’s area, kids will have the opportunity to pot plants and construct bee homes from bamboo plants, Caffrey said.

“All of the plant vendors do really well,” she said. “Some people are into tropical, others are into fruit trees — there isn’t one that stands out.”

Jamie Lynn, a 21-year-old UF political science senior, said her back patio is covered by a flower garden. 

“I like the way you can have fun with plants,” she said. “They can give a room a completely different look depending on what you plant.”