Organization warns drivers of possible tire pressure woes

Jordan Meyers, 25, said the summer heat is causing the tires on his 2015 Chevrolet Suburban to constantly lose pressure.

After he took the car to a mechanic, who didn’t find any problems with the tires, Meyers started to believe temperature changes from day to night caused the problem.

“Every four or five days the tire pressure is low,” he said. “There are no nails or anything.”

According to a recent press release from the American Automobile Association, Meyers is not alone.

The summer heat can also cause air to expand within the tires, increasing the risk of a blowout, according to the report. Tires that are not inflated enough can waste gasoline and increase the risk of tire damage.

In a 2015 survey, the Rubber Manufacturers Association found that only 9 percent of cars had four properly inflated tires, according to the release.

Montrae Waiters, a spokeswoman for AAA, said her organization sees an increase in pressure-related incidents each summer, but she did not have an exact amount.

“It goes back to motor education,” Waiters said. “It’s as simple as checking your tire-pressure once a month.”

Gainesville mechanic Malcom Jerry, 28, said issues with tire-pressure are a common problem.

Jerry said inflation issues could cause costly damage over time, or even cost a driver his or her life.

“A lot of people are not informed and not taught the importance of air pressure,” he said.

• A car’s recommended tire-pressure is found in the owner’s manual
  • Check tire-pressure after the car has sat for at least three hours
  • 69 percent of vehicles have at least one under-inflated tire

More information is found at autoclubsouth.aaa.com.