Lollicup holds contest to support campus organizations

This semester, 14 UF organizations will be buying bubble tea in hopes of earning cash prizes.

Lollicup, a local bubble tea and coffee cafe, is sponsoring a competition among the organizations for the duration of the Fall semester.

Students who make a purchase will receive a sticker to place on a poster next to the name of their favorite club. The top three clubs will be entered in a raffle to receive prizes ranging from $100 to $300, and the remaining clubs will also receive smaller cash prizes.

While the cafe, located on Southwest 34th Street, has been sponsoring student organizations since its opening nine years ago, owner Nam Diep said this competition is a new and exciting way for campus clubs to earn some support and recognition.

"We talked to the clubs and the students, and they seemed very interested," Diep said.

The contest will run until the end of the semester, and prizes will be distributed in the Spring.

Andrew Nguyen, a biology senior and external vice president of the Korean Undergraduate Student Association, goes to Lollicup once every two weeks.

"Ever since I came to UF, Lollicup has been sponsoring KUSA and many other clubs under the Asian American Student Union," he said. "They help us out by providing funds and prizes for different events."

While many clubs supported by Lollicup are Asian-American, Diep said he also reaches out to other organizations, such as the Hispanic Student Association and the Pre-Optometry Pupils club.

"We try to reach out to as many organizations as possible," Diep said. "They are a great way for students, especially freshmen, to make friends and lasting connections."