If you've ever hailed a taxi in Gainesville, there's a chance you were overcharged.

According to student complaints dating back as early as 2009, some cab drivers took advantage of students by charging rates of $20-plus per person to travel less than two miles.

In an effort to resolve the issue, city commissioners voted unanimously to require taxi companies to display the newly drafted Taxi Service Bill of Rights in all cabs by Aug. 1.

The bill outlines the rights of both the driver and the passenger, City Commissioner Jeanna Mastrodicasa said.

It also authorizes drivers to charge flat rates, a one-size-fits-all standard pricing scale formerly reserved for special events such as Gator football games, or run the meter.

The passenger now has a right - and the responsibility - to know what the fare will be before he or she gets in.

Mastrodicasa said the decision of which rate to charge is ultimately up to the passenger, and students should negotiate the price before they get in.

Flat rates may offer a cheaper alternative in some instances, said Ed Ricci, owner of AAA Taxi.

He said sometimes flat rates for traveling from midtown to downtown would save students a buck or two compared with the meter price.

But after an undercover sting operation in December, which caught 11 of 19 drivers not running a meter and resulted in a landslide of allegations and arguments, Ricci said he stopped charging a flat rate, even though it is now an accepted practice.

"I'm out here to stay in business, not to create a problem for the students or the police," he said.

When it comes to a safe ride for students, the best deal for students depends on how far the trip is.

Jumping in a cab will cost you up to $3.50 just to sit inside the vehicle. Tack on more charges for idle time, price increases for as little as every one-tenth mile, and additional fees per person, and it becomes clear just how expensive a short trip can become.

There are other options, though, such as using UF's Student Nighttime Auxiliary Patrol, RTS' Later Gator, or ZIPcarts - an environmentally friendly electric cart service which charges only $3 per person or $10 for five people to travel anywhere within its perimeter.

According to a city commission document that details taxi rates, Unimet Taxicab Company charges a minimum fare of $10, regardless of the distance traveled.

Student Body President Ben Meyers said a lack of transparency was a major problem and some cab drivers are "shady," adding on extra fees and taking advantage of students.

He said the new ordinance is a positive development and the bill of rights is an important step to resolving the issue.

Mastrodicasa said the new ordinance is more fair and transparent for students.

"I don't think it's perfect, but it's the best we can do," she said.