Gainesville gallery holding reception for "Glimmerguts" art tonight

Gallery Protocol will be holding an opening reception tonight featuring an exhibition called “Glimmerguts,” inspired by worlds of fantasy, such as Dungeons and Dragons.

The reception, with art by Ryan Browning and Casey Jex Smith, is from 6 to 10 p.m. and will include free food and drinks. Gallery Protocol is located at 2029 NW Sixth St.

Smith will be present at the opening and said he is excited to bring contemporary art like this to Gainesville.

The art, which is inspired by mythology, is in harmony with the gallery’s venture to engage the community in art, said Chase Westfall, the director of Gallery Protocol.

“There are professional and grassroots communities in Gainesville, and we hope to fill the middle ground,” he said.

In addition to art, the gallery is introducing its Fermenter program, which provides local artists with four months of free studio space, something that has some students enthusiastic for the new gallery.

Brie Medina, a 20-year-old photography sophomore, said the new gallery has a refreshing theme.

“It’s important to support local art venues that are providing invaluable opportunities for locally based artists,” she said.

Funded by a former UF student and patron of the arts, Gallery Protocol staff hopes to see a more artistically and culturally rich Gainesville, said Westfall.

“A college town has the energy and drive to make exciting things happen.”