Using artwork and burlesque to unite against violence

Survivors of violence will take part in a pop-up art series this week, raising both awareness and money for their cause.

Several events remain during Red Soul Days, a week of events that county commissioners recognized with an official proclamation Tuesday.

A show performed by burlesque dancers and other performers is scheduled for today.

The show is meant to satirize fairy tales and shine a positive light on unlikely storybook characters, said Rachel Wayne, the creative director of CerridwenWorks, a production agency that organized the events.

“If they discover that they are a frog, they are OK,” she said.

Musical performances — including pop, rock, punk, country and swing genres — will accompany a drag show to further promote the message Saturday, Wayne said.

Many of the artists have stories about their own experiences with abuse or violence, and the event gives survivors a chance to be activists, Wayne said.

Other participants, she said, are allies in the fight against social injustice.

Event profits will benefit organizations that combat domestic violence, such as Peaceful Paths and Break the Cycle, Wayne said. Money will also benefit the River Phoenix Center for Peacebuilding focuses on general violence.

Jennifer Vito, the entertainment and artist coordinator, said the event is important for more than just the artists.

“Because these issues affect everyone in our community in some way, and it is important to participate, spread awareness and heal as a community,” she said.