5K to raise money for Equal Access Clinic Network

The UF Equal Access Clinic Network is encouraging community members to participate in its annual fundraising run this weekend to help keep one of the clinics afloat.

The 18th annual Equal Access Clinic Network 5K is at 8 a.m. Saturday. Organizers hope it will raise at least $5,000 to go toward lab and prescription costs of the clinic located at 1707 N. Main St., said Michelle Russin, the clinic’s financial coordinator. 

The run will begin at Southwest Recreation Center. Registration is $15 for children and $20 for adults. All proceeds will go toward the network, which includes four permanent clinics and several temporary clinics that are free to the public and run by UF medical or pre-medical students.

Russin said if the run doesn’t raise the target amount, the Main Street clinic may close.

“We want to gain some publicity for the clinic and raise awareness about our clinic and what it stands for,” she said.

Tala Rizkallah, a UF health education and behavior sophomore, volunteers at the clinics through the American Medical Student Association and said she hopes the goal is met.

“We need to stay open because everyone needs to get medical care,” Rizkallah, 19, said. “Medical care is a right. Not a privilege.”

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 3/20/2015 under the headline “5K to raise money for clinic network”]