Husband of assault survivor teaches free self-defense classes

Once as a UF student and later as an adult, Jason Dodd’s wife was sexually assaulted in Gainesville.

Now, Dodd offers free self-defense classes to women who want to learn how to defend themselves from any potential attacks.

“The number of sexual assault cases are staggering,” Dodd said. “My goal is to help people defend themselves in a manner that is effective, efficient and simple.”

The six weekly classes, which have been held at Dodd’s Global Mixed Martial Arts Academy since Aug. 12, take place Fridays at 6:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. and will continue until Sept. 16, he said.

Although classes are full, Dodd said there may be additional openings in Fall and another set of classes is scheduled for Spring. Each hourlong session builds skills in the previous class, which range from counterattacks to escape techniques.

While Dodd has taught women’s self-defense since 2006, Dodd said he has never held six free consecutive sessions before. In the past, he has held free monthly classes.

Asked why he holds classes for free, Dodd’s thoughts turned to his wife, who he said has been assaulted at Midtown and downtown before.

Lucy Berman, a 21-year-old UF animal sciences senior, said she worries sometimes when she walks around campus at night — especially when she’s alone.

She said learning self-defense could help make students feel safer.

“There is no doubt that this class would be helpful,” Berman said.